Skip to main content

Thursday, September 8. The Sigher...

Ok so. We're all packed on the train. It's still raining.  You know how it is when the earth is super dirty and you start growing gills because you swim instead of walk.  Well, it's been raining like that. This is like day 400 of grey, cloudy, rainy mess and people are over it.  It's enough to be packed shoulder to face to butt to backpack with strangers, but wet strangers is even worse.  We all want the train to hurry up and let us off!

But no.  Why would it do that?  After all, it is the New York City subway system.  Life is supposed to be a challenge...an adventure, even, when you ride the train.  I mean, think about it, if nothing ever happened, you'd be quite bored.  Or is the word, content? Hmmm...there's a fine line.  I digress.
The sigher. (Sigh)

So we're packed into our car on the train, dripping wet, and trying to maneuver our backpacks, pocketbooks, tote bags, and umbrellas so they are not poking or nudging, or dripping on anyone.  Hahahahah.  Try it...

And just as the doors closed, a short, middle aged lady pushed her way into the car.  Now look, I honestly believe people would have shifted if there was somewhere to shift to, but there wasn't. Now, if you are going to push your way into an already crowded train car--as if there is not another one coming--please know that the riders already packed on like sardines, will feel no sympathy for you.  You will get in where you fit in and hold on where and if you can.  Well, she couldn't.  It wasn't possible for her to reach a pole or beam at all.  So she sighed...in my right ear.  Believe me, if you knew me, you would know I would have moved far from her breath if I could.  But as it was, I was being poked in the stomach by the water jug hooked onto the side of the backpack of the very large teenager standing in front of me, and stabbed in the left side by the tote bag swung on the shoulder of a tall woman who was squeezed into a tiny space between two rather large men.  As the train jerked, crept, rocked, and bumped along, the lady sighed again. And again, and again, and again. And again. And again. And again.  (Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.) I didn't even know how to feel about it. I mean, standing up with no place to hold on, smushed, (Yes, smushed(link). I'm southern and sometimes we make up words. Get over it and enjoy the lovely picture preceding these words.), smushed up against a wet stranger whose rain soaked bags are poking you in your cleanly clothed tummy is something to sigh about. Sigh. Poor lady. But I could not wait to get away from her.

When the seat I was standing in front of became available, I sat down. I was grateful to have a seat so I could read my new Paulo Coelho book. I was happy to not have to hear all of that pathetic and forlorn, "woe is me" sighing.  I sat and took out my book.  Before I could open it and begin escaping into the world of Brazil, I heard, "Siiigghhhhh..." and looked up to see Sigh lady standing over me and shaking her head and smiling at me. Did she want my seat or did she want me to co-sign her anxiety?  I quickly assessed her. You have to respect people who need the seat, you know?  She was neither old, decrepit, pregnant, nor crippled so I smiled back and began to read.

Lesson:  Sigh.  It just be's like that sometimes. Or if you prefer, "That's the way the cookie crumbles."

A Girl Changing The World

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, September 15. What A Difference Some SLeep Makes!

Ok so.  Yesterday I was fit to be tied...or rather unfit because I was tired .  ...In nearly every sense of the word.  That night, I went to bed earlier than I had in months and woke up without the alarm for the first time in months, as well! I felt well rested and happy to be alive!  I got up, kissed the hubby, said my morning prayer, fed Winston (my beautiful Russian Blue cat), showered, got dressed, kissed the hubby goodbye as he prepared for work, and left early enough to stroll to the train instead of run. That felt amazing.  I could actually experience the sounds, the colors, the breeze... It was quite nice way to start my morning commute; on time and awake . :-) Leaving early and all I arrived at the platform early enough to be unconcerned that a train was pulling away as I approached.  The next one came and I boarded. It was overly crowded but for some reason I didn't care that much.  I stood up like the majority of commuters (because there just aren't enough seats

Tuesday, September 13. It Has To Get Better Than This.

Ok so.  One thing I learned when studying public relations at NYU was that you shouldn't lie, or "spin" the truth to get the reaction you want.  I actually don't want a reaction, but wish to enlighten you.  In light of that, this morning's blog post is going to be straight from the heart, whether it is what you are expecting or not.  Seriously, it has to get better than this. Whether or not people will admit it, most of us are over worked, underpaid, ignored, berated, and/or exploited every single day on our jobs.  As a result, I would not be surprised if more than half of people working are fighting some form of depression.  As late as February 2011, it is recorded that there are over 45 million Americans with some form of mental illness including anxiety and depression. If you read the article attached to the link, you will see that is almost 20 percent of Americans who just "ain't right."  How did we get this way? As of May 2011, depression alone

Tuesday, November 22. She's Baaaaack!!!

Ok so. I took some time off from writing this blog because honestly, we've had a very busy season at work and I just didn't have time to write. How depressing is that?! (Other creative souls know what I mean...) But I am back in full effect and will soon have to catch you up on a few things I just could not pass up the opportunity to point out. After all, you can't make this stuff up. It is so difficult to be a germaphobe living in New York City. Let me tell ya. HARD. This morning on the Q train, this man was sitting in the seat in front of me, as I stood and held on for dear life, picking dried skin from the palm of his hand (How dry does one's hand have to be to be able to pick dried skin flakes off the palm??) and brushing them to the floor.  Now mind you, I am shorter than many people (all my taller friends just hush up right now!) and can barely reach high enough over my head to hold onto the metal bar transit placed up there for tall people... so I have to sta