Skip to main content

Monday, August 29. I know They Said Delays But It Is Coming, Right?

Ok so. In lieu of the hurricane that passed over the entire East coast this past weekend, the NYC MTA was shut down in case of flooding and other electrical problems.  I think that was very smart of them.  They announced on Sunday that they should have everything up and running for Monday morning's commute, however, they warned us to expect delays. 

Now, I have to tell you that the MTA says to expect delays anytime something normal happens...it rains, there's a Yankees game, the President's in town (as if he is riding the train), the sun shines. (You get the idea.) So it didn't move me to leave any earlier that 20-30 minutes.  My commute is only 22 minutes long, once a train picks me up; and since I don't have to be at work until 8:00, I thought arriving to the train platform at 7:08 AM was doing something special! I mean let's face it... in order to get up, get dressed, feed the cat, kiss the hubby, get out the door, walk/run 3 1/2 blocks, swipe my metro card, swipe it again because the system likes to mess with people who are rushing and tell them to swipe again, and get to the train platform by 7:08...means I had to get up at 6:00, wake up the roosters, and take off running.  I get to the train platform and there are people already there waiting.  An empty platform means you've just missed a train, so I think I'm doing great, right?

Well, I am standing there on that train platform, beaming with pride at my accomplishment and waiting for the train to come...expecting it to be there within 10, maybe 15 minutes at the most.  I have a song in my heart and a smile on my face. I'm jolly.  In my head, I am singing a song that kinda goes like this: "I'm gonna get there early! I'm gonna get there early! Hee hee hee hee hee hee, hee hee hee hee heeeeee heeeee!"  Yeah, I know, jolly, like I said.  So I'm waiting...and waiting...and waiting.  And eventually, I look at my iPhone/watch (same difference) and see that I've been waiting for nearly 25 minutes for a train!  It's now 7:33 AM and I am still waiting at 7:40.  I sigh.  I remember the quote my mom always says when I start a complaint with, "But I planned..."  She always says, "The best laid plans of mice and men..."--which I think she got from the book, Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck....or maybe from Robert Burns' poem, To A Mouse.  Either way, she seems to love to use that on me.  I can see the humor in her eyes when she says it, as if to say, "Ha! And you think you are in control?!"  So I sigh and I resolve to wait.  After all, the entire city was just shut down, so why should I expect things to go according to my plan? A couple of minutes later, a train pulls into the station.  Is it me or is she screaming for help this morning?

The train is packed, and I mean packed, to the hilt.  I squeeze myself in and hold on. I'm on my way.  I arrive in the office, surprisingly, only 15 minutes late.  Sigh. And the work week begins.

Lesson:  You are not in control.  It's that simple.

A Girl Changing The World

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, September 15. What A Difference Some SLeep Makes!

Ok so.  Yesterday I was fit to be tied...or rather unfit because I was tired .  ...In nearly every sense of the word.  That night, I went to bed earlier than I had in months and woke up without the alarm for the first time in months, as well! I felt well rested and happy to be alive!  I got up, kissed the hubby, said my morning prayer, fed Winston (my beautiful Russian Blue cat), showered, got dressed, kissed the hubby goodbye as he prepared for work, and left early enough to stroll to the train instead of run. That felt amazing.  I could actually experience the sounds, the colors, the breeze... It was quite nice way to start my morning commute; on time and awake . :-) Leaving early and all I arrived at the platform early enough to be unconcerned that a train was pulling away as I approached.  The next one came and I boarded. It was overly crowded but for some reason I didn't care that much.  I stood up like the majority of commuters (because there just aren't enough seats

Tuesday, September 13. It Has To Get Better Than This.

Ok so.  One thing I learned when studying public relations at NYU was that you shouldn't lie, or "spin" the truth to get the reaction you want.  I actually don't want a reaction, but wish to enlighten you.  In light of that, this morning's blog post is going to be straight from the heart, whether it is what you are expecting or not.  Seriously, it has to get better than this. Whether or not people will admit it, most of us are over worked, underpaid, ignored, berated, and/or exploited every single day on our jobs.  As a result, I would not be surprised if more than half of people working are fighting some form of depression.  As late as February 2011, it is recorded that there are over 45 million Americans with some form of mental illness including anxiety and depression. If you read the article attached to the link, you will see that is almost 20 percent of Americans who just "ain't right."  How did we get this way? As of May 2011, depression alone

Tuesday, November 22. She's Baaaaack!!!

Ok so. I took some time off from writing this blog because honestly, we've had a very busy season at work and I just didn't have time to write. How depressing is that?! (Other creative souls know what I mean...) But I am back in full effect and will soon have to catch you up on a few things I just could not pass up the opportunity to point out. After all, you can't make this stuff up. It is so difficult to be a germaphobe living in New York City. Let me tell ya. HARD. This morning on the Q train, this man was sitting in the seat in front of me, as I stood and held on for dear life, picking dried skin from the palm of his hand (How dry does one's hand have to be to be able to pick dried skin flakes off the palm??) and brushing them to the floor.  Now mind you, I am shorter than many people (all my taller friends just hush up right now!) and can barely reach high enough over my head to hold onto the metal bar transit placed up there for tall people... so I have to sta