Skip to main content

Wednesday, August 24. Big And Tall Man With A Cane

Ok so.  I'm sleep walking my way to work and praying that I get a seat on the overcrowded train that I never get a seat on. Hopeful, I step into the car when the conductor opens the doors, and glance quickly around.

Those of you not familiar with NYC transit (MTA) may not understand why you have to hurry up and sit down when there is a seat available.  Let me explain.  If you spot a seat, and you are two short steps away, please know that although you may be a closer distance to the seat than the man, woman, or child at the other end of the car, you may get knocked out of the way and end up standing--or trying to, as the moving train car jerks you back and forth like a tiny ship tossed at sea. The person who seatjacks you does not even make eye contact with you.  He/she sits triumphantly and either snoozes, reads, or stares off into space--as many New Yorkers do...maybe taking a moment to figure out how to pay the increasingly high rent in the City. (New Yorkers call Manhattan, The City, by the way. Five boroughs make up NYC--Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, and the Bronx. But for some reason, we all just say, "I'm going into the City," when referring to Manhattan. Go figure. It is what it is. Let's move on.) So this smug little person has taken your  seat and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it because it is, after all, public transportation. You don't own that seat. You just should have gotten to it first. You have no rights! Right? But wait a minute.  What if you are disabled? Or elderly? Or pregnant? Well, from what I've seen, you're on your own. Men don't even give up their seats to pregnant women whose beach ball bellies are poking them in the face. What world is this we're in up here?  If you are old and feeble, hold onto the pole with all your might because that young man sleeping in the seat in front of you is just too tired. Sorry Gramps.

So let me tell you what I saw.  I get on the train, speed hunt for a seat, and grab the pole to hold on for dear life because there are none.  A very big and tall  (like the store!) man makes it into the car as the door is closing. He's like Andre the Giant! But he's walking with a limp and a cane.  He and I both glance at the "disabled" seats.  No one moved.  So we both look around the car, frantically searching for someone's eyes to take pity and give the man a seat.  No one moves.  So he and I look harder at the people in the disabled seats, as if our combined eye glaring power will force them into submission.  No one moves.  It's unimaginable.  As the train moves and shakes us up, the man tries to keep his balance and grimaces in pain.  He begins to make loud sighs as he desperately looks at each person's face seated on the train.  He's on his own. I gave up.My eye glare is powerful, but nothing can sway a determined New Yorker to give up his/her seat short of God himself coming over the loud speaker and commanding it. The train stops at the next station.  Finally someone gets up.  It is a young girl to my left in a corner, aft facing seat.  I moved away from the seat. The big and tall man goes for it...slowly. (Oh boy...) And even though he was much closer, a woman who boarded the train ran through the car, lept over a small child, pushed past the person seated on the aisle, and plopped down into the newly relinquished seat with authority and attitude. She looked at the man, who also looked at her. Then she opened her newspaper and began to read.  The man looked as if he wanted to beat her with his cane.  Instead, he wobbled toward the other end of the train car to eye stare/glare/beg those riders. I was still standing and holding on.  Eventually, he asked someone to give up their seat, and they did.  All New Yorkers aren't bad, see.

So how does one avoid this situation?  Don't become crippled or handicapped in New York?  Don't get old or pregnant in New York?  That doesn't seem fair. I love/hate it here! (Depends on the day...just like everybody else.) I choose to stay but can I puh-lease sit down on the train if I am disabled?  Not if run, leap, push lady has anything to say about it.

Well, it is for that reason that  a couple of years ago, MTA enforced a new rule and it became a law. The law is that fines will be given to passengers who do not give up their seat to someone who is elderly or disabled...especially in the "DISABLED" seating area. D'uh.  It was made specially for them, y'all. Apparently a long time ago!  Non-compliance could result in a $25-$50 fine or up to 10 days in jail. Jail!  Big criminal in jail in a deep scary voice corners you and says, "What are you in for?"  You, "It was my seat! I had it first! It's not fair!" Real tough, people. Good grief.
It's unfortunate that there aren't enough officials to ride the trains and monitor this shameful behavior.

But who knows, maybe run, leap, push lady, and all the others who refused to acknowledge the handicapped man, were disabled as well...socially retarded?  Emotionally damaged? Mad at the world and just selfish? I'm just sayin'. Whatever it is, give love a try.

Lesson:  Run, leap, push to get a seat...NOT.  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, your mother, your wife, child, grandma, etc.  Just be kind and considerate.

A Girl Changing The World





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, September 15. What A Difference Some SLeep Makes!

Ok so.  Yesterday I was fit to be tied...or rather unfit because I was tired .  ...In nearly every sense of the word.  That night, I went to bed earlier than I had in months and woke up without the alarm for the first time in months, as well! I felt well rested and happy to be alive!  I got up, kissed the hubby, said my morning prayer, fed Winston (my beautiful Russian Blue cat), showered, got dressed, kissed the hubby goodbye as he prepared for work, and left early enough to stroll to the train instead of run. That felt amazing.  I could actually experience the sounds, the colors, the breeze... It was quite nice way to start my morning commute; on time and awake . :-) Leaving early and all I arrived at the platform early enough to be unconcerned that a train was pulling away as I approached.  The next one came and I boarded. It was overly crowded but for some reason I didn't care that much.  I stood up like the majority of commuters (because there just aren't enough seats

Tuesday, September 13. It Has To Get Better Than This.

Ok so.  One thing I learned when studying public relations at NYU was that you shouldn't lie, or "spin" the truth to get the reaction you want.  I actually don't want a reaction, but wish to enlighten you.  In light of that, this morning's blog post is going to be straight from the heart, whether it is what you are expecting or not.  Seriously, it has to get better than this. Whether or not people will admit it, most of us are over worked, underpaid, ignored, berated, and/or exploited every single day on our jobs.  As a result, I would not be surprised if more than half of people working are fighting some form of depression.  As late as February 2011, it is recorded that there are over 45 million Americans with some form of mental illness including anxiety and depression. If you read the article attached to the link, you will see that is almost 20 percent of Americans who just "ain't right."  How did we get this way? As of May 2011, depression alone

Tuesday, November 22. She's Baaaaack!!!

Ok so. I took some time off from writing this blog because honestly, we've had a very busy season at work and I just didn't have time to write. How depressing is that?! (Other creative souls know what I mean...) But I am back in full effect and will soon have to catch you up on a few things I just could not pass up the opportunity to point out. After all, you can't make this stuff up. It is so difficult to be a germaphobe living in New York City. Let me tell ya. HARD. This morning on the Q train, this man was sitting in the seat in front of me, as I stood and held on for dear life, picking dried skin from the palm of his hand (How dry does one's hand have to be to be able to pick dried skin flakes off the palm??) and brushing them to the floor.  Now mind you, I am shorter than many people (all my taller friends just hush up right now!) and can barely reach high enough over my head to hold onto the metal bar transit placed up there for tall people... so I have to sta