Skip to main content

Tuesday, August 30. Somewhat peaceful & Mostly Uneventful...

Ok so.  I have to be honest.  When I was a flight attendant, I used to pray before every take off, that my trip be peaceful and uneventful.  I mean, think about it...Airplane...exciting...eventful...no thank you!! I'd do my service, then do my homework or read my InStyle magazine and be content. So When I quit, the habit, unfortunately didn't stick. This rushing to wait for a train thing is a whole other world to me. So since I forgot to ask that things be uneventful,  I went through some of the most unimaginable things you can picture.  (See my other blog--The Receptionist) Now, I'm takin' it back to the days of old.  So this morning, I said a quick prayer, and I was off.

The commute started off with "time" deciding to speed up on me, and as I am trying to get the antibiotic (pill) down my cat's throat, (he caught himself a little staff infection) I realize I need to leave immediately in order to be on time.  He swallowed it. I scream at the hubby to wake up and feed the cat. He nearly jumped out of his skin but complied. He yells an, "I love you!" as I return the yell and run out the door.  I am almost to the end of the block when I hear my husband yell, "Honey! Your phone!" I turn around to see my loving, skinny, husband in our front yard, wearing only boxer shorts and a concerned look on his face, holding my iPhone up in the air so I can see it.  I hurried back to our gated yard to get my phone, but mostly to get him back inside the house before anyone noticed.  My husband NEVER comes outside like this. But he has an addiction to his phone and probably thought I wouldn't make it through the day without mine. :-) That, and he wanted to rest his mind that he can reach me if needed.  But probably more of the first... 

Anyway, I rush up the block after grabbing my phone and blurting, "Thanks!"  As I turn the corner onto the main street, the bus, my shortcut as opposed to walking the 3 1/2 blocks, goes whizzing by.  I'm let down.  How dare the bus driver not know that I am rushing, running a few minutes late, and needed him to also run a few minutes late so I could get on his bus! How dare he not know my needs. Or she...or whoever was driving the darn thing.  So I take a deep breath and hike it slightly uphill and down the mile long block to the subway station as fast as I can go.  What a workout first thing in the morning.  Yuck! But the universe must have noticed that it had just messed with me yesterday and decided to cut me some slack, because as soon as I got to the train platform, my train came. AND it was the one that takes me closest to my work office.  AND it didn't dilly, dally, or delay! (Simply unheard of!) 

I stepped into the train car and got a seat.  It's like a red carpet was rolled out just for me.  No one's dreadlocks or newspapers were slapping me in the face. No one tried to throw their "bows" (Thanks Luda...I still like that.) and knock me out of the way.  No run. leap, push ladies were on board running, leaping, and pushing to get a seat.  It was actually quite a lovely experience to walk on and sit down.  I closed my eyes and next thing I knew, we were at my stop. I arrived at work at 8:01. Technically, not late at all.

What a lovely, almost completely uneventful commute. The universe and I are friends again.

Lesson:  Keep pressing, eventually the universe will bother someone else? :-)

A Girl Changing The World



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, September 15. What A Difference Some SLeep Makes!

Ok so.  Yesterday I was fit to be tied...or rather unfit because I was tired .  ...In nearly every sense of the word.  That night, I went to bed earlier than I had in months and woke up without the alarm for the first time in months, as well! I felt well rested and happy to be alive!  I got up, kissed the hubby, said my morning prayer, fed Winston (my beautiful Russian Blue cat), showered, got dressed, kissed the hubby goodbye as he prepared for work, and left early enough to stroll to the train instead of run. That felt amazing.  I could actually experience the sounds, the colors, the breeze... It was quite nice way to start my morning commute; on time and awake . :-) Leaving early and all I arrived at the platform early enough to be unconcerned that a train was pulling away as I approached.  The next one came and I boarded. It was overly crowded but for some reason I didn't care that much.  I stood up like the majority of commuters (because there just aren't enough seats

Tuesday, September 13. It Has To Get Better Than This.

Ok so.  One thing I learned when studying public relations at NYU was that you shouldn't lie, or "spin" the truth to get the reaction you want.  I actually don't want a reaction, but wish to enlighten you.  In light of that, this morning's blog post is going to be straight from the heart, whether it is what you are expecting or not.  Seriously, it has to get better than this. Whether or not people will admit it, most of us are over worked, underpaid, ignored, berated, and/or exploited every single day on our jobs.  As a result, I would not be surprised if more than half of people working are fighting some form of depression.  As late as February 2011, it is recorded that there are over 45 million Americans with some form of mental illness including anxiety and depression. If you read the article attached to the link, you will see that is almost 20 percent of Americans who just "ain't right."  How did we get this way? As of May 2011, depression alone

Tuesday, November 22. She's Baaaaack!!!

Ok so. I took some time off from writing this blog because honestly, we've had a very busy season at work and I just didn't have time to write. How depressing is that?! (Other creative souls know what I mean...) But I am back in full effect and will soon have to catch you up on a few things I just could not pass up the opportunity to point out. After all, you can't make this stuff up. It is so difficult to be a germaphobe living in New York City. Let me tell ya. HARD. This morning on the Q train, this man was sitting in the seat in front of me, as I stood and held on for dear life, picking dried skin from the palm of his hand (How dry does one's hand have to be to be able to pick dried skin flakes off the palm??) and brushing them to the floor.  Now mind you, I am shorter than many people (all my taller friends just hush up right now!) and can barely reach high enough over my head to hold onto the metal bar transit placed up there for tall people... so I have to sta